History/About the department
The Kamla Nehru College was established in 1971 but the Department of Botany was established in 1999 with B.Sc. programme. In its short period department has gone long a way in its journey by promoting quality education and providing basic infrastructure to botany stream. The department is getting ample feedback from the region and good number of students are registered every year. In present session about 350 student are registered. Throughout the year, the campus of botany department is recognized for its academic activities and social work.
Teaching & learning
The department gives prior importance to quality teaching. The students get information of new discoveries and inventions apart from the syllabus. Department makes all effort to make the topic interested. LCD projector is used to present some important topics.
The department has its own well established laboratory. The lab. is well equipped with different instruments to carry out practical work ascending to syllabus. The dimension of lab is such that 50 students can occupy seat at a time .The lab. Has distinguished instruments like-LCD projector,Centrifuge ,Incubator, Ph meter, Lux meter, Electrophoresis, Research microscope, Projection microscope, Slide projector, Autoclave etc.
The department has computer facilities with internet where student can collect all the information regarding subject.
The college central library has good number of books for botany. Many reference books, text books, magazines are available. Apart from central library, the department of botany has its own departmental library from where poor and needy students can avail the facility. Students also avail, the facility of reading book in department in leisure time.
• Research in progress on “Aerobiology” of Korba town.
• A minor research project is granted by the UGC in 2007.
• Organized UGC sponsored national seminar on “Biodiversity & its conservation” in 2006 where eminent scientists and researchers presented their paper.
• Organized ECB sponsored training programme on “Vermicomposting” in 2006.
• The students of botany are working with NGO on forest survey of Korba forest division.
• Time to time department arranges excursion for students in different part of the country. Students also visited many national research center, botanical garden, herbaria etc.
• Students of the department secured position in merit list of the college and the university.
• Department organized many seminars and model exhibition, time to time.
• To start M.Sc. programme and diploma in applied botany.
• To develop botanical garden
• To start add on programme in ‘Biological technique'(proposal has been sent to UGC)